1. What is the SAFRA Family Scheme?
The SAFRA Family Scheme is a pro-family initiative launched on 3 October 2020 in recognition of the vital role of family support in the National Service journey. It enables NSmen and their families to enjoy SAFRA membership at nominal package fees so that they can enjoy the wide range of SAFRA facilities and membership privileges together to foster stronger bonds.
2. How does the SAFRA Family Scheme differ from the previous individual Dependent membership?
Under the new scheme, NSmen can register their second and subsequent dependents (spouse or children under 20 years old) at only a $10 administrative fee for each application. As part of a special promotional period to mark the launch of the scheme, the $10 administrative fee will also be waived for the first six months until 31 March 2021. NSmen only need to pay a nominal package fee for their whole family to enjoy SAFRA membership. Prior to the launch of the new scheme, each family member will have to pay a fee to sign-up for SAFRA membership.
3. Who is eligible to sign up for the SAFRA Family Scheme?
The SAFRA Family Scheme is open to all past and present SAF NSmen, existing SAFRA Life Members and servicemen who are eligible for SAFRA Associate Membership.
4. Who can I add as a Dependent member under this scheme? Is there a change to the current eligibility requirements?
SAFRA Principal members may register their spouse and children (under 20 years old) as Dependent members under the SAFRA Family Scheme. There is no change in the current eligibility requirements for spouse and child Dependent members.
5. I already have a Dependent member within my family. Do we have to apply for the SAFRA Family Scheme?
All existing SAFRA Principal members with at least one existing Dependent member will automatically be converted to the SAFRA Family Scheme. They will be informed of their eligibility for the automatic conversion via email and/or SMS.
For families who already have more than one existing SAFRA Dependent member as of 3 October 2020, the membership validity period of each Dependent member will be extended during the conversion based on the cumulative number of years remaining among existing SAFRA Dependent members so that they can enjoy more years of SAFRA membership together.
The conversion exercise will take place over two (2) weeks until mid-October 2020, during which all membership-related transactions such as SAFRA Dependent membership sign-up and renewals will be suspended. No action is required on their part during this process and they will still be able to enjoy access to SAFRA facilities and membership privileges.
Upon the successful completion of the conversion to the SAFRA Family Scheme, a notification letter will be sent to their registered mailing addresses. Thereafter, all membership-related transactions will resume and they will be able to register additional SAFRA Dependent members from their families, if any, at customer service counters at SAFRA clubs, as well as online via mySAFRA portal.
6. I am a Principal member. Will my membership validity period also be extended based on the cumulative number of years remaining among my existing Dependent members during the automatic conversion?
Yes, it will be extended if your remaining validity period for your Principal membership prior to the automatic conversion is less than the cumulative number of years remaining among your existing Dependent members.
7. How do I register for the SAFRA Family Scheme?
8. How do I add family member(s) as dependent member(s) online under the SAFRA Family Scheme?
9. What is the annual membership fee for the SAFRA Family Scheme?
The total package fee under the SAFRA Family Scheme varies based on your membership category and tenure applied. Click here for more details.
A one-time administrative fee of $10 is applicable for the second and each subsequent dependent member registered. However, the administrative fee is waive until 31 March 2021 as part of a special promotional period to mark the launch of the SAFRA Family Scheme.
10. Is there a limit to the number of Dependent members I can register?
There is no limit to the number of eligible Dependent members you can register.
11. Can I register additional Dependent members for the SAFRA Family Scheme at a later date?
Yes. The membership period of the newly added Dependent member(s) will be matched to the preceding expiry date of the existing Dependent member(s) within the same family.
12. Why is a $10 administrative fee imposed for the registration of each additional Dependent member under the SAFRA Family Scheme?
The one-time fee covers the administrative cost to process the application for each subsequent Dependent member. However, the administrative fee is waived until 31 March 2021 as part of a special promotional period to mark the launch of the SAFRA Family Scheme.
13. Is there any change to my Principal membership fee?
There is no change to the current Principal membership fees. You are encouraged to sign-up for a longer membership period to enjoy greater savings and more attractive welcome gifts. From time to time, SAFRA also introduces various membership sign-up/ renewal promotions.
14. Can I apply for a pro-rated family package so that my membership and my Dependent(s)’ membership will expire together?
There is no pro-rated package fee. You may wish to select the membership period which is closest to your remaining validity period when you sign-up for your family, where possible.
15. My child is turning 21 years old in three months’ time. Why is my child’s membership expiry date different from other Dependent members?
Your child’s Dependent membership will cease when he/she reaches the age of 21 years old, and therefore his/her membership expiry date may be different from other Dependent members.
16. Will I receive a physical membership card when I register for the SAFRA Family Scheme?
Physical membership cards will not be issued. Members can access their SAFRA e-card via the mSAFRA app, which will reflect their prevailing membership expiry date. For those with child Dependent members, the Principal and spouse Dependent members will be able to toggle to and access their child Dependent(s)’ e-card via the app.
17. Can my spouse sign-up or renew membership for my family members under the SAFRA Family Scheme on my behalf?
No. Only the Principal member can sign-up or renew membership for family members under the SAFRA Family Scheme. It is a requirement for the Principal member to acknowledge the membership terms and conditions to complete the sign-up/renewal process.
18. What will happen to the existing auto-renewal arrangements for my Dependent members?
Dependent members with existing auto-renewal arrangements will continue to enjoy the convenience of auto-renewal under the SAFRA Family Scheme.
19. Can I renew my membership under the SAFRA Family Scheme before the expiry date?
Yes. Members may renew their membership in advance before it expires, up to a maximum of 12 years of validity period remaining.
20. Can I use my SAFRAPOINTS to sign-up / renew my membership under the SAFRA Family Scheme?
We are in the process of enabling members to use their SAFRAPOINTS to sign-up / renew membership under the SAFRA Family Scheme.